nM - No Mercy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Can anyone help my ping?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Coxy
nM Leader
Coxy

Male
Number of posts : 724
Job/hobbies : Cider, sports, gaming
My Clan : nM and 666
Registration date : 2007-09-23

Can anyone help my ping? Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone help my ping?   Can anyone help my ping? EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 8:43 am

Basically on a normal day i get 30 ping in XT and 50 in DFT. In the evening it sometimes when up about 5 on each server (i think due to more people using internet in our area and stuff)

Now i get 45 in XT and 60 in DFT and in the evening it rises to 80 in XT and 90+ in DFT :S

Something with my ISP or Router? Just wondered if anyone can help :S its like this on another computer =/

Also on here everything at the top has doubled. It seds Home Home Portal Portal etc ...

:S
Back to top Go down
Echo
nM Leader
Echo

Male
Number of posts : 1630
Job/hobbies : Customer Advisor
My Clan : nM

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my ping?   Can anyone help my ping? EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 9:03 am

Coxy wrote:
Basically on a normal day i get 30 ping in XT and 50 in DFT. In the evening it sometimes when up about 5 on each server (i think due to more people using internet in our area and stuff)

Now i get 45 in XT and 60 in DFT and in the evening it rises to 80 in XT and 90+ in DFT :S

Its your ISP, and i think your right, most people come home about 5ish to play games after school, play around on bebo/myspace or work peoples having to do work.

The only other thing it could be in some kind of malware/virus soaking up your bandwidth.

Your on 8meg which is pretty low, which means all the people in your area will want that 8meg as well because its the highest you can get in your area. Theres not much you can do about that.

I'd suggest switching your ISP.

Wait, wharts your router speed?

Coxy wrote:
Also on here everything at the top has doubled. It seds Home Home Portal Portal etc ...

thats because your browser hasnt loaded the images next to the navigation links. When the image isnt loaded, I made sure it told you what it was.

To you it might not look like an image before Home, Portal, Gallery.. but there is. Ignore that Coxon, it usually means the page hasnt loaded completley yet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.renderpixel.co.uk
Zeratul
nM Member
Zeratul

Male
Number of posts : 275
Job/hobbies : HP Printer support
My Clan : nM and 2a8
Registration date : 2007-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my ping?   Can anyone help my ping? EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 10:16 am

The ping issue is probably your router or ISP. But I doubt it has to do with other houses/households are using the same ISP that's slowing you down.. It sounds more like it could be something in the telestation that isn't working like it should. Because if it IS the station, it might explain why your internet slows down when other people in other houses uses the internet from same station.

Regarding that you see double of everything.. Same thing for me if I use Firefox 3... Not if I use Firefox 2...
Back to top Go down
Lava
nM Member
Lava

Male
Number of posts : 469
Job/hobbies : Quakez0r
My Clan : n(ooby)M(idgets)
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my ping?   Can anyone help my ping? EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 11:19 am

I have no clue whatthehell ur all on about..
I had the ping issue a couple of times and returned to normal in like 3 days Surprised
Back to top Go down
Coxy
nM Leader
Coxy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my ping?   Can anyone help my ping? EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 12:07 pm

Thanks all =) It was 55 on XT this evening (even tho its double then normal, its an improvement)

Echo wrote:
The only other thing it could be in some kind of malware/virus soaking up your bandwidth.

I thought that as well, but it was ok one day, i dont go on dodgy sites. Turned off the computer and next day its higher :S and same on other computer :S and nothing major on scans

Echo wrote:
Your on 8meg which is pretty low

Well its 'up to 8 meg' but i can only get 6 in my area Sad but i know people that play with less :S

Echo wrote:
Wait, wharts your router speed?

Cant remember, it was the over 100 one, think it was 108kbps

Echo wrote:
I made sure it told you what it was.

O you did, soz =/

Zeratul wrote:
Because if it IS the station, it might explain why your internet slows down when other people in other houses uses the internet from same station.

What would you advise if it was that, new router or new ISP or really nothing i can do? Would it be because of adsl that im on? I did have trouble ages ago, when something happened with the sky box with meant i couldnt get on internet for some reason :S

Zeratul wrote:
Regarding that you see double of everything.. Same thing for me if I use Firefox 3... Not if I use Firefox 2...

Yes! i got firefox 3 recently so that would explain it, and it also say 'you have posted on this topic'

Sorry its long and you troubling you guys

Thanks again all (except lava, didnt really help much xD)
Back to top Go down
Zeratul
nM Member
Zeratul

Male
Number of posts : 275
Job/hobbies : HP Printer support
My Clan : nM and 2a8
Registration date : 2007-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my ping?   Can anyone help my ping? EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 12:47 pm

New ISP will probably not help since your house will still be connected to the same station. I would suggest a new router (or a simulated Cisco router, which I can help you set up)

Or if you want to buy a new router instead. Make sure it's a decent router then. (NOT D-link, Netgear or Zyxel.. I suggest Linksys or some of the more expensive routers)
Back to top Go down
Coxy
nM Leader
Coxy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my ping?   Can anyone help my ping? EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 3:40 pm

Ok thanks, ill keep that in mind

i have netgear atm Sad if it stays crap ping i might get a new one and ask you more then Smile
Back to top Go down
rizlaz
nM Member

Male
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my ping?   Can anyone help my ping? EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 2:43 am

i have linksys with speed booster and they reasonable price i think i only paid £40 for it
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Echo
nM Leader
Echo

Male
Number of posts : 1630
Job/hobbies : Customer Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my ping?   Can anyone help my ping? EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 5:01 am

lol I have Airport Extreme Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.renderpixel.co.uk
Coxy
nM Leader
Coxy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my ping?   Can anyone help my ping? EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 5:38 am

So which would be advised to get? cos i dont wanna pay for an expensive one too find out it hasnt helped my ping
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my ping?   Can anyone help my ping? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can anyone help my ping?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
nM - No Mercy :: General Discussions :: Quake Related Talk-
Jump to: